Max has advised in relation to a broad range of disputes, often involving financial services and an international element. He has recently been involved as part of the team that advised the Bank of Portugal in relation to its successful interventions in both the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court in April 2018.
Max has also acted for companies and individuals who have been the subject of worldwide freezing orders. He has also been involved in multinational litigation and arbitration on behalf of a Luxembourg liquidator, relating to claims that funds invested in bonds via two Luxembourg based SPV’s, which were ultimately backed by US life settlements market assets, had been misappropriated.
Max also has a developing contentious tax practice concerned with a range of taxes and with experience of handling Closure Notices and appeals through to First Tier Tribunal and beyond, Accelerated Payment Notices and GAAR Notices. He is involved in two separate Appeals for UK utility companies in relation to capital allowances on expenditure concerned with energy storage (hearing in the FTT expected in Autumn 2018) and appearing in the Court of Appeal in relation to film trading.
Max has considerable experience in high-value actions by individuals and businesses for the mis-selling of interest rate protection products by banks, and has also advised a number of clients in relation to the FCA interest rate hedging review scheme, helping to achieve settlements of several million pounds.
In addition to this work, Max has also:
- Acted for the successful Defendant in Parish and Anor v The Danwood Group Limited  EWHC 940 (QB). The claimants alleged (inter alia) that fraudulent misrepresentations were made by the (then) directors of the Defendant as to the value of shares in a Long Term Incentive Programme. The claim was dismissed in its entirety following a 5 day trial
- Acted for a former director facing multi-million pound claims from his former company in relation to allegedly improper transactions entered into whilst he was a director
- Acted for a property management company in relation to the recovery of significant service charge arrears
- Advised a major German bank in relation to the consequences of an issuer downgrade for €75m of structured notes
- Been involved in the ongoing Keydata litigation, acting on behalf of the investors in a high-profile failed investment scheme
- Advised in relation to potential injunctive relief to prevent the appointment of LPA receivers by banks following alleged defaults
Max graduated from Cardiff University, and joined a niche financial services practice where he completed his training contract and spent a further two years upon qualification. Max joined Enyo Law in November 2011.
- Financial Services Lawyers Association (FSLA)
- AMC III Purple B.V. v Amethyst Radiotherapy Limited  EWHC 1503 (Comm)
- Macquarie Capital (Europe) Limited v Nordsee Offshore MEG I GmbH  EWHC 1655 (Comm)
- Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation Fund & Ors v Novo Banco S.A.  UKSC 34 on appeal from  EWCA Civ 1092
- Degorce v The Commissioners for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs  EWCA Civ 1427
- Avonwick Holdings Limited and others v Mikhail Shlosberg  EWCA Civ 1381
- Parish and Anor v The Danwood Group Limited  EWHC 940 (QB)