Pietro has a broad commercial disputes practice with a strong emphasis on high value commercial fraud, asset tracing/ value recovery, offshore contentious trust litigation and cross border disputes in the oil & gas and metals sectors.
He frequently acts as lead lawyer in litigation straddling several jurisdictions, advising on strategy and its implementation, including the deployment of, or reacting to, insolvency related litigation initiatives. Pietro represented the successful appellant in the Privy Council decision in Vadim Schmidt v. Rosewood (concerning disclosure of documents by Trustees of discretionary trusts) and acted in the Bank of New York money laundering investigation. Pietro co-ordinated a team comprising various overseas law firms in a cross-border commodities fraud case where the lead action was litigated successfully before the Singapore Court. He represented a group of former Hammonds partners in their dispute against their former firm and advised Boris Berezovsky in his successful opposition to Roman Abramovich’s application to strike out Mr Berezovsky’s claim. Pietro has acted in several disputes concerning the breakdown of joint venture and other commercial relationships in the telecoms, metals and oil & gas sectors in former CIS countries which have given rise to worldwide related litigation and arbitration.
Pietro graduated from Durham University. He qualified with Theodore Goddard in 1992 and became a partner at that firm in 1999. Following the merger with Addleshaw Booth & Co, Pietro formed the Fraud and Financial Regulatory Contentious Group (part of the Contentious Group), which he headed until his departure in 2010.
- The Libyan Investment Authority v. Goldman Sachs  EWHC 2530 (Ch);  EWHC 3364 (Ch)
- The Libyan Investment Authority v. Société Générale S.A. & Ors  EWHC 2773 (Comm);  EWHC 375 (Comm);  EWHC 1720 (QB);  EWHC 550 (QB)
- Vadim Schmidt v. Rosewood (2003) UK PC 26
- Malaysian International Trading Corp Sdn Bhd v. Interamerica Asia Pte Ltd  2 SLR (R)
- Global Multimedia International Ltd v. ARA Media Services  1 ALL ER (Comm) 1160
- Hammonds (A Firm) v. Danilunas  EWHC 216 (CH)
- Berezovsky v. Abramovich  EWHC 647 (Comm)
- Erste Group Bank AG v. JSC “VMZ Red October” & Ors  EWHC 2926 (Comm)
- Anglo Petroleum v. TFB (Mortgages) Ltd  EWHC 3125
- Global v. AMS & MBC  EWHC 3107 (Ch)
- Ackerman v. Ackerman  EWCA Civ 768