Jonathan handles a broad range of complex domestic and international disputes as well as investigations by regulatory and law enforcement authorities in the UK, US and elsewhere. He is experienced in all aspects of international litigation and arbitration, from questions of initial strategy and, jurisdiction through to the enforcement of judgments and Awards.
Jonathan’s recent experience includes advising:
- An industrial company in multiple LCIA arbitrations concerning claims arising under banking facilities with an international syndicate worth over $1 billion.
- A bank in LCIA arbitrations concerning its investment in an oilfields venture with an international partner.
- A sovereign wealth fund in connection with two disputes worth over $3 billion concerning its trading activities with Western banks.
- A foreign state in its defence of multi-party proceedings involving the attempted enforcement of foreign judgments in England & Wales worth over $650 million.
- A foreign state owned oil and gas corporate in LCIA arbitration, and related High Court proceedings, in connection with allegations that multi-billion dollar contracts had been procured by bribes and frauds.
- Two Ukrainian oligarchs in connection with the control of and their shareholding in a London listed oil and gas production company, where the case succeeded in the UK Supreme Court.
- Two shareholders in LCIA proceedings concerning the future of a family company worth over £1 billion.
- A finance director in a £50 million High Court claim brought by his former company in connection with his and the auditors’ alleged negligence over various accounting matters.
- An international academic publisher in connection with its business in Africa, which was under a joint, coordinated investigation by the World Bank and the UK Serious Fraud Office.
Jonathan studied law in New Zealand, Canada and at St Edmund Hall, Oxford where he holds a BCL (Distinction). He qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2005 and as a barrister and solicitor in British Columbia in 2004. Jonathan joined Enyo Law in 2015, having previously been at Freshfields for seven years and a partner at Eversheds in London.