Daniel has more than 15 years of experience as counsel, arbitrator and expert in the field of cross-border litigation and arbitration.
He is acclaimed for his experience representing companies, states and state-owned entities in complex commercial litigation and arbitration involving multiple jurisdictions, with a focus on cost-efficient solutions to corporate problems through different dispute mechanisms.
In 2020, Daniel was listed as a World Leader in the field of Arbitration by Who's Who Legal. He speaks Portuguese, Spanish, French and English, and focuses on cases involving Latin American, African and Western European clients, in different seats and under different institutional rules (ICC, LCIA, SCC and ICSID).
He regularly serves as tribunal chairman, sole arbitrator and party-appointed arbitrator, and he has also served as an expert before arbitral tribunals and state courts.
Daniel holds a PhD from Université Panthéon-Assas (Paris II) and the Paris Thesis Prize. He is a professor of International Arbitration, Corporate Law and Contracts at Fundação Getúlio Vargas (São Paulo, Brazil), and a visiting professor at Queen Mary University of London School of Law, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law (Chicago, USA) and Universidad de Monterrey (Mexico), where he regularly teaches Investment Law and International Commercial Arbitration.
He is the author of Civil Liability (Atlas, 2013), Les abus de l'arbitrage commercial international (Paris, L'Harmattan, 2014), The Brazilian Arbitration Act: A Commentary (2020), The Brazilian Arbitration Handbook (2019) and Investment Protection in Brazil (Kluwer Law International, 2014), as well as numerous articles in leading international journals and reviews.
- Co-arbitrator in a $70 million Spanish-Chinese dispute over a Latin American power grid project under ICC rules seated in London
- Co-arbitrator in a $45 million US-Chinese dispute under ICC rules over a post-M&A transaction concerning the transfer of vaccine technology
- Co-arbitrator in a $25 million ad hoc international dispute concerning a distribution agreement between a Latin American major oil company and an English company over oil tankers
- Co-arbitrator in a $12 million ad hoc international dispute concerning a charter party interpretation between a Latin American major oil company and an English company
- Co-arbitrator in a Peruvian dispute involving allegations of corruption and early termination of a highway contract over a $200 million project
- Representing one of Europe's largest banks against an African government over a $2 billion finance agreement
- Representing a French multinational in the enforcement of a $150 million arbitral award rendered in Geneva before the English Courts
- Representing an African national bank against a Swiss multinational bank over a $150 million loan agreement for the development of maritime facilities
- Representing a European company against a Brazilian bank in a €200 million ICC dispute
- Representating a Brazilian company in challenging an LCIA award for R$124 million
- Representing a Brazilian infrastructure company in a $300 million investment case against a Central American government
- Representing a Luxembourg-based investment fund in recovering a €189 million bond against a European bank
- Representing a Belgian IT company in an ICC arbitration in a post-M&A dispute based in Brussels
- Representing a European media group in $50 million litigation proceedings concerning the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games Museum
- Acting for one of the world's largest toy manufacturers in relation to the collection of a $100 million debt
- Representing a British multinational in $123 million litigation proceedings against a distributor based in northern Brazil
- Advising a Swiss rail technology multinational in relation to the acquisition of a Brazilian train company in a $200 million operation
- Acting for one of the world's largest car companies in relation to the questioning of its legality in Brazil before the Brazilian Supreme Court
- Representing Israel's biggest construction company in a pre-litigation procedure concerning the acquisition of a mall valued at $230 million
- Acting for an American multinational producer of chemicals for plastics industries in relation to the collection of a $45 million debt
- Advising foreign Petrobras investors in relation to the devaluation of Petrobras' stocks after the "Car Wash" fraud operation
Daniel is a member of the Editorial Board of The Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIARb) and is a former member of the ICCA Publishing Committee under the direction of Albert Jan van den Berg, and was previously general editor of the Brazilian Arbitration Review.