Daniel Levy is an international litigation and arbitration lawyer, arbitrator and expert with almost 20 years of experience representing clients on complex cross-border commercial disputes across various sectors, including energy, infrastructure, O&G, insurance, shipping, banking, corporate, M&A, in both individual and class actions worldwide. He has acted as counsel and arbitrator in domestic and international arbitration conducted under the main institutional arbitration rules (ICC, LCIA, SCC, ICDR, ad hoc UNCITRAL as other domestic chambers in the UK, Brazil and France). His practice focuses in cases involving French, Spanish and Portuguese speaking clients in the Americas, Europe and Africa.
In 2020, 2021 and 2022, he was appointed by Who’s Who as one of the world leaders in the field of arbitration in London.
He holds a Ph.D. summa cum laude from Université Panthéon-Assas (Paris II) in the field of arbitration, he is a visiting professor at Queen Mary University of London, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law (Chicago – USA) and Fundação Getúlio Vargas (São Paulo), where he teaches regularly Investment Law and ISDS, and international commercial arbitration.
He sits in the Queen Mary University of London School of International Arbitration Advisory Council. He is member of the Editorial Board of the CIArb International Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management (UK), of ICC Commission on International Arbitration and ADR and was formerly a member of the ICCA Editorial Committee under the direction of Albert Jan van den Berg.
Dr Levy is author or contributing author of The ICSID Convention, Regulations and Rules: a Practical Commentary (Ed. Julien Fouret, Rémy Gerbay and Gloria Alvarez, New York, to be published), the Handbook on Brazilian Civil Liability (São Paulo, 2014), Brazilian Arbitration Act: a commentary (São Paulo, 2019), Handbook of Arbitration in Brazil (São Paulo, 2019), Brazilian Arbitration Act: Case Law Commentary (The Hague, to be published), Investment Protection in Brazil (NYC, 2014), Les abus de l’arbitrage commercial international (Paris, 2014), as well as numerous publications in leading journals and reviews.
Representative cases (only representative last 18 months)
Co-Arbitrator in a USD 70MM ICC Spanish-Chinese disputes with London seat over an insurance retrocession agreement relating to the construction of a power grid project in Latin America
Co-Arbitrator in a USD 48MM ad hoc international dispute concerning an oil and gas distribution and shipping agreement between a Latin American major oil company and an English-based company over oil tankers
Co-Arbitrator in an ICC case involving a solar plant project in Brazil for USD 28MM
Co-Arbitrator in an ICC M&A dispute around the incorporation of a local Latin American technology company by an American counterpart and a Luxembourg fund
Co-Arbitrator in a USD 25MM construction case of an energy power line in the North of Brazil under the Brazilian-Canada Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration and Mediation Rules
Co-Arbitrator in a USD 12MM ad hoc international dispute concerning a charter party and O&G contract between a Latin American major oil company and an English-based company
As Counsel or Expert
- Representation of an Angolan company in a USD 233MM dispute over a JOA and PSA, its breach and exit rights, involving an oil field in Africa
- Representation of a Brazilian recycled wood company in its dispute with a British client
- Representation of a Brazilian solar power company in its USD 180mm dispute against a European Sovereign Fund
- Representation of one of Europe’s largest bank against an African Government over a USD 2 billion loan agreement
- Representation of a Latin American petrochemical multinational in relation to issues arising out of the liability of affiliates worldwide and strategy planning
- Representation of a Brazilian chemical company against in its investigation and possible disputes with clients over issues in its production line
- Representation of a Portuguese biotech company in a USD 54MM reps and warranties M&A discussion with a British buyer
Representation of an Italian company in reps and warranties discussions relating to a M&A applying English law
- Representation of a sub-Saharan African bank in its discussion over a USD 160MM loan to a Swiss bank over different civil and arbitral proceedings
- Representation of a French multinational in the enforcement of a USD 150MM arbitral award rendered in Geneva before the UK Courts
- Representation of two African national bank against one a Swiss bank over a USD 150MM loan agreement for the construction of maritime facilities
- Representation of one of Europe’s largest media group in a discussion over a supply agreement with a Japanese company
- Representation of a Brazilian HNWI against a Central-America company relating to an offshore director’s liability discussion before the UK Supreme Court
- Representation of a European company against a Brazilian bank in a EUR 200MM ICC dispute
- Representation of a Brazilian livestock company in a USD 25MM ad hoc shipping dispute under LMAA rules
- Representation of a Brazilian company in the challenge of a LCIA award for R$ 124MM
- Representation of a Brazilian Infrastructure Company in a USD 300 MM investment case against a Central American Government
- Representation of a Luxembourg-based investment fund in recovering a EUR 189MM bond against a European bank
- Representation of a Belgium IT company in a ICC arbitration in a post-M&A dispute based in Brussels
- Representation of a Swiss rail technology multinational company in the acquisition of a Brazilian train company in a USD 200 MM operation
- Representation of the Chinese biggest energy producer company in a pre-litigation procedure involving one of its Brazilian M&As – USD 54 MM
- Representation of an American multination manufacturing house electronics in a tax procedure before Brazil’s Superior Court of Justice in a USD 125MM litigation
- Representation of Israel’s biggest construction company in a pre-litigation procedure concerning the acquisition of a mall – USD 230 MM