Richard’s practice is centred on complex and high value commercial litigation and arbitration, typically with an international element. He is also regularly instructed to act on matters involving financial crime and is therefore well placed to advise where both civil and criminal issues arise.
He has acted on some of the most significant cases to come before the English courts in recent years, including one of the largest cases arising from the Global Financial Crisis and the first case to be heard under the Shorter Trials Scheme (both at trial and before the Court of Appeal).
Richard is regularly instructed to bring and defend applications for injunctions and other forms of interim relief.
He has experience in advising clients from a wide variety of industry sectors, with particular focus on financial services, oil & gas and aviation.
Richard’s practice is international and he has worked on matters in numerous jurisdictions worldwide, in particular the US and various countries in the Middle East and South America.
Richard holds degrees in law from the Universities of Cambridge and Sheffield. Since qualifying in 2006, Richard has practiced at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, DLA Piper and Addleshaw Goddard, from where he joined Enyo Law in January 2019.
Reported cases include
- First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC v. BP Oil International Ltd.  EWCA Civ 14
- Visage Ltd & Anor v. Anita Mehan & Ors  EWHC 2734 (QB)
- National Bank of Abu Dhabi PJSC v. BP Oil International Ltd.  EWHC 2892 (Comm)
- Dar Al Arkan Real Estate Co. & Anor v. Majid Al-Sayed Bader Hashim Al Refai  EWHC 1793 (Comm)
- Deutsche Bank AG v. Sebastian Holdings Inc.  EWHC 3463 (Comm)
- HSH Nordbank AG v. SAAD Air  EWHC 3213 (Comm)
- Royal Bank of Scotland plc v. Thomas Ollis Hicks & Ors  EWHC 2568 (Ch)
- Brookfield Construction (UK) Ltd. v. Mott Macdonald Ltd.  EWHC 659 (TCC)
- Durham Tees Valley Airport Ltd. v BMI Baby & Anor  EWHC 852 (Ch)
- R (on the application of Kibris Turk Hava Yollari & Anor) v. SoS for Transport & Republic of Cyprus  EWHC 1918 (Admin)
Other recent experience
- Advising a European multinational in a significant ICC arbitration concerning delays to a major commodities asset and associated JV issues.
- Acting for a former CEO in relation to FCA and Official Receiver proceedings and Parliamentary Select Committee inquiries arising from one of the most high profile UK corporate collapses in recent years.
- Advising a FTSE 100 company on an internal investigation in relation to issues of widespread international corruption.
- Acting for two individuals in connection with an investigation by the Takeover Panel concerning mandatory offer requirements under the UK Takeover Code.
- Acting for a fund in relation to SFO inquiries arising from the Cypriot banking crisis.
- Advising a UK manufacturer of scientific instruments in relation to SFO and DoJ enforcement proceedings related to instances of international bribery.
- Acting for an industrial products manufacturer defending an application for an injunction to restrain the commencement of UK operations.
- Advising an international airline in connection with the requirements of Annex 13 of the International Civil Aviation Convention following a fatal accident.
- Obtaining orders for the taking of evidence in England in support of US proceedings for a major international pharmaceutical company.
- Advising a Middle Eastern telecoms company in connection with losses sustained following the '2G scam', one of the largest corruption scandals in Indian history.
- Advising in relation to the litigation and financial crime aspects of numerous M&A and Private Equity transactions in various sectors, including oil & gas, financial services, consumer products and healthcare.
- International commercial litigation and arbitration
- Internal investigations
- Financial crime defence and compliance
- Injunctions and other forms of interim relief
- Anti-bribery and anti-money laundering
- Financial Services
- Oil & Gas
- Fraud Lawyers Association